Joshua Gordon

My photo
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I live in Guelph - an artsy, tree hugging university town in Ontario. I work hard to be a creative and innovative influence in the places I find myself. Most of the time that looks like networking with other creatives, researching, or filling up my sketchbook / journal with ideas.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

My List of New Things

1. New Pad - Sarah and I moved into a 3 bdrm basement apartment. We helped the landlord install laminate flooring, and are looking forward to painting and being totally unpacked!!
2.New Church - well, this isn't totally true. We've been attending ERCF for a while, but especially now that we've moved closer, it is quickly becoming a place where we feel very welcomed and are excited to take the things we've learned at Oakpark and apply them!
3. New Job - I've been working at Starbucks for the last two months, and hugely enjoyed it. I absolutely thrived on interacting with so many different faces in a day - and , incidentally, discovered that I'm really good at selling overpriced pastries to people! On the whole, I did very well, and was up for a promotion. However, it's impossible to provide for your family on a Starbucks income. I've been rehired by a former employer - Duimering Concrete Forming, based in Guelph. I used to build foundations with DCF back in the day. I didn't really like it very much then, and I don't really love it now either. Or even like it. However, the pay boost has allowed us to move into our New Pad (see #1) which, for the meantime is worth it! I'm still rabidly searching for a replacement job.
4. New Hobby - At ERCF, I' ve been 'commissioned' to start a creative planning team. The pastor (my dad) has asked me to brainstorm ideas and implement an organizational structure that is sustainable. It's a fascinating challenge, and I love spending time setting up this framework!
5. TO BE CONTINUED...

4 comments:

B. Nagel said...

I understand #3 all the way.

Joshua Gordon said...

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's funny, I'm finding myself fantasizing about other jobs whilst I work. Today, I was lugging 100lb forms, my arms chaffed from concrete, and I thought, "I would LOVE to be a telemarketer right now."

See what I mean? I've fallen oh, so dismally far...

- Josh

Warren Ludwig said...

Hey, Josh...glad to see that you've started blogging again. I've been checking in for a while...but I see what's been taking up your time!

Just wanted to say that I hope you will still pursue the writing thing, even as you do less creatively satisfying jobs to take care of your family.

My wife, Cat, has been reading a bunch of books by Nicholas Sparks. She suggested that I give you his website...lots of helpful stuff in there to encourage writers. Here ya go: http://www.nicholassparks.com/

Blessings!
-W

Joshua Gordon said...

Hey W.

I really appreciate your comments. It's a nice feeling to be missed. However vacuous personal online connections are said to be, there will always be part of me that warms when someone shows interest in what's going on in my life.

You're a good man, W.

- Joshua